D-Day Diorama

For my birthday recently I was given a double-up model kit of a Spitfire, and a Typhoon, in D-Day markings. I thought to myself that it just won’t do to just guild the models and sit them on a shelf like I used to do when I was younger. I decided to make something meaningful out of them, so I’ve created a diorama that I’ve titled “The Power of Two”.  The idea for the title comes from the Biblical principle regarding the power of unity.

At the time of writing this article I haven’t yet finished the Typhoon model, so I’ll post an update later, but for now, enjoy!

  • Firstly, I finished the Spitfire. It was while making the Spitfire that I decided on the diorama display.

Diorama - 1

  • To create the artwork for the diorama I spent a considerable amount of time searching the internet for war art in the hope of finding something I could simply use, but I couldn’t. In the end, I’ve used a combination of four separate artworks which I cut and merged using Photoshop. The first artwork was a Battle of Britain piece showing a downed Messerschmidt Bf-109 near a farm house in southern England, with the English Channel and the White Cliffs of Dover in the background. I cut the farmhouse, cliffs, and water out of the artwork, and placed it over a beautiful artwork of cloudy sky, which works well for the theme I need. I then found two other D-Day artworks each focussing on the Spitfire and Typhoon respectively. I cut one example of each plane out of the artworks, and superimposed them over the sky artwork, multiple times, in different sizes and orientations. The finished backdrop is fairly convincing, and works well with the desired affect.
  • So now, on to the wood-working side of things… I mixed a 50/50 mix of white latex glue and spread it evenly onto a sheet of 5-ply, and then carefully applied the backdrop. I then cut the plywood around the backdrop using my oscillating cutter, when the glue was dry enough. Next I cut a shelf out of a piece of scrap wood I found lying on the ground around our estate, and first nailed, then screwed, it to the backdrop. I also cut small angle pieces for each end to square up and reinforce the whole thing. I mixed a 50/50 mix of white latex glue and spread it evenly onto a sheet of 5-ply, and then carefully applied the backdrop. I then cut the plywood around the backdrop using my oscillating cutter, when the glue was dry enough. Next I cut a shelf out of a piece of scrap wood I found lying on the ground around our estate, and first nailed, then screwed, it to the backdrop. I also cut small angle pieces for each end to square up and reinforce the whole thing.

Diorama - 3

  • I used to have a model railway (HO-Scale) which I had built when I was younger. I had to sell it when I moved to Thailand. Anyway, the variety of landscaping skills I learned building that layout made it easy for me to landscape this diorama. I cut some black packing foam to create the effect of a slope at one end, and also used some in both corners to build up the size and shape of bushes. To that I painted glue/water mix and scattered the model tree material shown below, as well as some grass scatter material. The only mistake I made was forgetting that the scatter material wouldn’t conceal the white undercoat. Ugh!

Diorama - 4

Diorama - 5

  • Here’s the finished result, it looks quite good I think. Time for that Spitfire to hunt more Bf-109’s!

Diorama - 6

  • Now, to finish the Typhoon model…

Diorama - 7

Print Friendly, PDF & Email